Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Musselman, Sprint, 1/2 IRONMAN. DOUBLE!

WOW What a Weekend!

The Races Started on Saturday with the Mini-Mussell Sprint Tri it was a 500m swim, 16 mile bike and a 5k Run. I had a decent day but the bike was not the best there were too many people in front from previous flights to be ablt to get in a good rythm but I finished 6th Overall and 1st in the Male 25-29 age group. Which was about where I wanted to be going into the 1/2 Ironman I had a 4 minute lead in the Double Mussell Competition.

* The Double Mussell is a competition for athletes who are racing in both the sprint and the 1/2 Ironman the next day. The best combined time will win the Inagural Double Mussel.

Sunday started off with a bit of a panic.... Somehow I miss read the start time so Mary and I arrived at 6:55 and saw evreyone getting in the water... somehow We were able to get evreything ready and get me in the water on time. (What a stupid mistake!)

The swim was rough I had no idea where the course went, and my wetsuit tore my neck apart and my right arm went numb after about 500m... why would it do that ? I had a good T1 and was off on the bike in just over a minute.

The bike was good although the roads were wet which makes corners tricky, it stayed cold and cloudy during the bike which was ideal... I forced myself to hold back till mile 25ish and then I started racing hard... I had a good bike leg but think I may have held back too much ... I left the bike leg and the sun had come out and it was getting hot.

I had another good transition just under a minute into T2 ... and out onto the 1/2 Marathon.

The Run course is very hilly with the athletes climbing the first 7-8 miles and gradually coming back into town on the return. I was a bit apprehensive about the marathon since i have not run since Outdoor Track Nationals due to tendonitis in my big toe. However it went exceptionally well. I negative split the marathon and ran the last four miles at sub 6 minute pace... for a 1:30 half marathon.

I ended up 26th Overall and 1st in my age category .... and
1ST PLACE OVERALL IN THE Craft DOUBLE MUSSELL ...

ReCAP of the Weekend.
Mini-Mussell ~ 6th Place Overall ~ 1st Place male 25-29
Mussel 1/2 Ironman ~ 26th Place Overall ~ 1st Place male 25-29
Double Mussell ~ OVERALL CHAMPION!!!!

Results can be found at www.musselmantri.com

Look at these Sweet Pictures by Mary Gibson
at www.flickr.com/marydaph and click on Mussel Tri

No comments: