Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Summer Sizzler F1 Triathlon

Grand Island, NY www.score-this.com for results... and pictures.

This was an amazing race... the only F1 Triathlon in the United States! If you do not know what an F1 Triathlon is its an interesting play on the masochistic nature of triathletes, as you do the traditional swim, bike, run but you then repeat the entire race again. Thats right swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run ... and it is actually a ton of fun. (Sorry about the alliteration).

So this would be my last major race of the season, since the cross-country team I coach at Houghton College would be returning in a few days for pre-season. I wanted to go out on a good note,

The race started with a really good swim for me about 6th out of the water and quickly out of transition, there were three men in front of me at this point and here is my only error in the race. I held back thinking I would catch them on one of the two runs, unfortunately the bike was a little to long and I was alone and they drafted for 15 miles each leg. (Drafting was not illegal, but no one told me this till after the race as the pre-race meeting noted the usual USAT ruels but apparently that was for the people only doing the race once... arghhh)

I spent most of my race alone in 4th place overall, I left the first run in 5th place and headed back down to the beach, it was over 90 degrees out and hitting the water for the second time was the best feeling ever! I caught and passed 4th place and exited the swim ready for the bike, I nailed the second leg of the bike averaging over 26mph and nailing back much of the lead of the breakaway but apparently not enough of it as I was never ever to close the gap down on the run to anything less the 75 meters.

I ended up fourth overall, and first for the Male 25-29 age group. I was really happy with the result as I had NO IDEA how to race an F1 and I was only beaten by three professionals. It was a nice way to cap the season.

I also found out the by way of my win at the DOUBLE Mussel I have automatically qualified for the 2008 ITU Long Course Championships to be held in Holland next August and am planning to return for 2nd attempt at this race hoping to improve on 15th place finish last time!!!!

More information soon!!!!

No comments: